Monday, June 29, 2009

Small Gifts

After more than a week of temperatures in the high 90's and high humidity levels, a storm swept through Saturday night, bestowing on us the gift of milder weather. It was a pleasure to work in the garden yesterday. The weeds didn't seem nearly so brutish as they did the day before. In the evening I took my pennywhistle down to the pond dock for a bit of practice. The pond was so quietly resplendent, reflecting every branch and shadow so perfectly that I had to go back to the house for the camera, to try to capture the beauty. Here's what the camera saw...


When I'd finished torturing the fish with my musical noodling, I took a quick walkabout to check on a few favorite wildflowers before the mosquitos began torturing me. This Tall Green Milkweed grows by itself in the middle of the grass. Its flowers are just getting ready to open. I thought that at this stage the flowers resembled the bursting orb-like fireworks on the 4th of July.


Small gifts can be quite ample really ...

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you played a pennywhistle! I think one of my favorite things about reading blogs is that I constantly learn new things about people I know.

    And yes - the break in the weather has been a Godsend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do look like fireworks! Does that kind of milkweed attract monarchs or other butterflies?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonnie, I'm pretty sure this milkweed attracts butterflies but I'll have to keep an eye on it to know which ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe how mirror-like the reflection from the water is! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete