Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Yardage

It's been quite some time since I've woven a long piece of yardage. This cloth came off my 16 shaft Megado loom last week. On the loom it measured 5 1/2 yards. After wet-finishing, its length is 4 yards, 31 inches.



The warp yarns are a variety of 8/2 unmercerized cottons and cotton/linen blends, set at 24 ends per inch. For weft I used a lustrous 8/2 tencel yarn from WEBS. There are 12 colors in the warp which shade gradually to the center and then back to the other selvedge. The pattern, Fairy Hills, is one I've developed and use frequently. Among its many variations is this one which I call Double Pine Trees because viewed from one direction the design resembles a forest of little trees.



So what am I going to do with this almost 5 yards of cloth? Not towels, not table runners. It's for a special project coming up this weekend - and that's all I'm going to say for now, except that I've oiled up my sewing machine and purchased a packet of sharp and shiny new needles ...

5 comments:

  1. It's going to be gorgeous! I happen to know just a bit about the weekend's activities ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are sewing yourself something nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...let's see...is it time for the annual guild show??

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely beautiful yardage! Can't wait to see what it becomes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh my, that's stunning! I can't wait to see what you are going to do with it...

    We missed you last night!

    ReplyDelete