Thursday, July 8, 2010

Exposure, Part 2

Late yesterday afternoon the rain stopped and it seemed as if the sky was going to clear. I decided to hike down to the woods to get some more photo practice. Somewhere in my mind's recesses I knew that it would be wet down there and that after all the rain we've had this summer, the understory plants would be growing like mad. But these vague mental musings became mosquito-biting reality as soon as I reached the gate.



Not only was the undergrowth lush, wet and thick, but the creek which is normally a lazy trickle, was rushing over the crossing. It looked like a true creek, water tumbling along, with burbling, refreshing sound effects.



I wasn't in the mood for bushwhacking through a sloshy jungle, so I took a few shots at the edge of the woods and turned back to the pasture. Close to the woods is an old skeletal pick-up truck. It always attracts me with its jumble of parts and rusty surfaces, so I played around with the camera's exposure settings and various angles of the truck.






Within minutes, thunder rumbled and drops started to fall. I leaned into the driver's side of the truck for one last shot and quickfooted it back to the house.

After loading the photos onto the computer, that final shot made me laugh. It's such a mishmash of colors, textures and shapes. I'm already thinking about it as inspiration for some weaving. Just goes to show - you just never know where a muse will pop up!

3 comments:

  1. I hope you weren't eaten alive! It's so wet here that a 30 minute play in the backyard was enough for both kids - especially Tanith - to come back in covered in mosquito bites.

    I'm starting an inspiration board at my house because you are right - you never know when it's going to strike, or what's going to create it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that last photo the best!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like the truck photos. Sounds like a great class.

    ReplyDelete