Monday, August 2, 2010

Slithy Toves

"'Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogroves,
And the mome raths outgrabe."

from Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll

Ever seen a slithy tove? Here's one -



Ok, ok, it's really a skink, a Five-Lined Skink to be precise. But whenever I spot a skink, I can't help but think of the poem Jabberwocky and all the made-up words Carroll throws about in those few stanzas. For one thing, the word "skink" seems to fit right in with the other nonsense words. (The entire poem is fun to read aloud to oneself or to others. I recommend you try it soon.) But I also just think that these wiggly, shiny creatures look like what a slithy tove might be. What do you think? What's your favorite nonsense word in Jabberwocky?

Five-Lined Skinks are common across most of Missouri. I think this particular skink may be a male because his stripes are not very visible. Females have visible stripes and a bluish tail. Young male Five-Lined Skinks have a bright blue tail. That feature makes it really easy to identify its species. Apparently the colorful tail helps protect the young skink from aggressive adult males.

The skink in the photo was sunning himself on the garden tool shed. He stayed still long enough for me to snap his picture, then gimbled hurriedly into the grass and I lost sight of him. He was probably heading off to the borogoves, leaving me to wonder if the mome raths were outgrabing yet.

Poetry, nature. Fact and fiction. Let it all in. Each day can be an adventure.

5 comments:

  1. I never saw a skink before. He's handsome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been really fond of the wabe, myself ;) And I just love skinks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. First time seeing a skink. How long is it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen a skink before, they remind me of our Lizard's that we have so many of here in Florida. Which once in a while one makes it in the house, which is a big no no.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete