Sunday, October 3, 2010

Something to Remember, Something to Celebrate


Pink flamingos in the heart of Missouri?  No, I'm not going to tell you I spotted these exotic creatures on my latest walk through the woods.  These flamingos live in the Animal Kingdom down near Orlando, Florida.  I snapped a few shots of them while visiting with my Mom recently.  But they're so festive, so pink that I thought they would be a great way to introduce this post.

October is a special month - Breast Cancer Awareness Month.  It's a time to remember  friends and loved ones who have been affected by this disease.  It's also a time to remember the importance of monthly self-exams and yearly mammograms.  Breast cancer strikes 1 in every 8 American women.  And it's not only women with a family history of breast cancer.  Even women with healthy lifestyles and no family history are affected.  This is not simply a public service announcement.  I'm a breast cancer survivor, have friends who are survivors, have lost a friend to it.  Chances are you have a friend or loved one who has confronted the disease, or are a survivor yourself.  It's a cause close to my heart.  So remember to take care of yourself and take care of your loved ones.  End of sermon.

This coming week, October 4 through 10 is also a special week - National Spinning and Weaving Week.  It's the time for all of us yarny types to celebrate our skills.  Although it's not included in the name, I like to think of this week as a celebration of all the fiber arts - knitting, crochet, feltmaking, dyeing, the works. 

I have been weaving for over 30 years now, fewer or more years for some of my other fiber skills.  In truth, not a day goes by that I don't weave, spin, knit, etc., or at the very least, think about my current projects.  I've been earning my living with my fiber skills for well over 20 years now.  And I'm still not bored or tired of any of it.  It's part of my life, as much as sleeping, eating, breathing.

What is it about these fiber activities that keep me so entangled in them?  The answer is multi-layered.  I've always enjoyed doing things with my hands.  The repetitive motions of knitting are soothing and familiar, especially after a busy or stressful day.  Spinning lovely fiber is meditation.  Throwing a shuttle to and fro, watching the cloth develop, listening to the clatter and thump of the loom - the physicality of these activities just does something good and postive inside - like a vitamin. Thinking about and then trying out color combinations or new designs is a satisfying creative exercise.

There's something else too.  Through all these years of fiber love, I've met the most inspiring, creative, wacky, sharing people.  Many of them have become my extended fiber family.  We share our successful projects and commiserate over and learn from failures.  Knowing all of these amazing people has been an unexpected, priceless gift.  I have a rainbow of memories that stretches across my life and into the future.  All thanks to messing about with yarn!

So to remember and celebrate these two events, I've decided to have a little fun and offer a fibery giveaway, actually 2 giveaways.   Here are the goodies.

First - 2 skeins (175 yds each) of Louet worsted weight Gems yarn.  Cuddly soft Merino wool in a petal pink.


Second - 2 ounces of soysilk roving which I dyed a deep pink, almost raspberry.


If you'd like to be entered in the drawing, leave a comment telling me what fiber craft (spinning, knitting, weaving, whatever) you do and why you do it.  I want to know what keeps others plying their yarn, creating their fiber rainbows, etc.  Also, let me know which prize you'd like.  You are welcome to enter both but I realize not everyone spins (yet) and so may not be interested in the soysilk.  I'll choose two winners in a random drawing on Friday, October 15 and will announce the winners over that weekend.

In the meantime, remember to do your bit to promote Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Celebrate and share the pleasures and rewards of the fiber arts.  The flamingos and I wish you good luck, good health, and a happy October!

20 comments:

  1. Ah...good question.

    I knit because it allows me to channel all of my OCDness into a positive outlet so that it doesn't muck up the rest of my life. Plus, it's fun, creative and productive!

    I spin because it's the one place I allow myself to not be perfect, and because it's always been in my blood - even though there are no other spinners in my family. (And if I'm lucky enough to be picked...I would like the fiber!) In my heart I'm a spinner before all else.

    I use beads in my fiberwork because I am a bit of a magpie!

    And I do all of it because they are crafts which build and create. (And I'm NOT a quilter or sewer because I hate the fact that you have to tear up your raw materials first!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am a knitter......and the reason I do it.....it relaxes me and gives me great pleasure when someone is excited to get something handknit........I made a few dishcloths for my neighbor last week, and you would think I gave her a million dollars.......

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not yet learned to weave or spin, so the yarn would be my choice of prize. Actually, I am so obsessive about my knitting that I am afraid to add to that with the others, although I am VERY interested in them. So, for now, my knitting keeps me feeling creative, and gives my restless fingers something to do as I unwind after work. I am a chemotherapy nurse. With every dose I administer, a celebrate the fact that I am killing off those hateful cancer cells!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knit because I love the act of creation. I'm very much a process knitter. I tend to give away most of what I knit, happily, because I had the pleasure of making it. There's something about making an object that will keep someone else warm and safe that fills me with joy. I'm making art that's also a tangible token of my love. I can't always be there to hug my loved ones, or make them laugh, but when my knitting is there with them, they know I care.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi...I just found your blog by way of your sister, Bonnie...I follow her blog.
    I knit and find it like meditation for me. It calms me and centers me, even when it's a pattern needing extra attention. I mostly knit for myself; no pressure or deadlines for gifts. I do knit some things for my daughters, however. Now that they are out of their teens, they seem to appreciate them more. I have tried weaving; last year I sold my LeClerc Mira counterbalance loom. It was just collecting dust.
    I do occasionally spin, both spindle and Majacraft Rose. I haven't done it in a while and often think of getting back to it.
    If I am lucky, either prize would be great. It's nice to find another blog to read.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love to knit and crochet and have begun weaving in the last year. I also needle felt.

    If I am chosen, the yarn would be great. Thanks for the contest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The vibrant pink is stunning. I have a website dedicated to cancer survivor and those who have passed. It is a peaceful place to visit.

    http://www.mysisterdalesgarden.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I knit. I knit a lot. I knit through happy times, through times when nothing is really happening, and through the times that I wish weren't happening.

    I knit in traffic jams, in movie theatres, hospitals, on the couch, on the beach, next to the pond, in the rain under an umbrella (and in the sun under an umbrella, too!) I love to knit for everyone but me.

    I also have taken up spinning and dyeing. I love taking fluff, adding amazing colour and turning it into something for someone special. How magical is that!

    I would be happy with either yarn or soysilk.

    Much thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knit because it makes me feel like I'm competent at something (although the outcomes aren't always what the picture looks like).

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am a crocheter, knitter, and spinner in no particular order. I do it to keep from killing people. Seriously....

    ReplyDelete
  11. My current motivation for knitting is for my sanity, as crazy as that may sound.

    I've recently moved and now am 2000+ miles from my family and support network as such. I picked up my knitting again when I was feeling very dark and alone here. The steady click click was very soothing for me while creating something out of 'string'. In turn, it helped me to find my way out of the house in search of fellow knitters and thus I am meeting nice new people and I am doing much better. :)

    ~LadyofRoses / Enid

    P.S. I can't spin so I'd be more interested in the yarn please.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I knit, because I like making things out of string with sticks! It feels like an accomplishment. And it's so portable. No knitting machine for me.

    And I spin a little on a spindle, just to see how it works. I won't be spinning vast quantities!

    I'd love to win your yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What gorgeous colors! Lessee... I like to spin because I find it so calming... the hum of the wheel, the feel of the fiber, watching the twist travel up the draft, the smell... a smorgasbord for my senses! I like to knit because it can be so portable and because I meet so many great folks that way. Great icebreaker. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I knit, spin, weave, and do all of my other fiber activities for many reasons. The fiber comunity is so open and sharing, i mentioned to a feloow wiber lover at a weaving confrence that I would like to spin and moments later i had a drop spindle and wool in my hand. At another weaving confrence I said I would love to be able to afford a spinning wheel and some one had one they didn't want suddenly I had a spining wheel and I still use it today. But as an early mentor said fiber is the most wonderful something from nothing, fluff (roving) to yarn to knittted sweater. I am the same as you Jenny knitting, spinning and weaving everyday. I am also teaching what I love as well. Fiber makes me happy so I do it I have stoped trying to explain why, and my stash to people who just don't understand

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just learned to knit a couple of months ago, and LOVE it! I've complained for years that I don't have any "real" talents (I do cook & bake, but, come on... anyone who can read a cookbook can do that!), and I'm finding that I have a real knack for knitting. :) It's very calming to me and makes me feel like I'm being productive while I'm unemployed.

    I also recently tried my hand at needle-felting. My project was actually a bra for the Ellis Fischel decorate-a-bra contest to benefit breast cancer. I'm going tonight to see the display. :) Needle-felting was fun, also, and I'm planning to try more of that.

    If I'm chosen in the drawing, I would love the merino yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have crocheted for about 1 1/2 year steady, but had initially learned about 3 years ago. It gives me an outlet for my day and creativity. I also cannot just sit somewhere, I have to be doing something with my hands, whether crocheting or reading.

    I am now learning to spin on a drop spindle because I acquired an angora rabbit, so I would love the fiber. That would look beautiful mixed w/ my creamy angora. contact is mixy_santaria@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love, love love to knit ,mostly for other people.I love sharing my ability to take a piece of string & create for those who need to look lovely , to celebrate a birth or birthday, to be comforted in their grief or who just plain need something warm or comfy to snug up in. One of my greatest pleasures has been teaching others my craft.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I do many crafts, mostly knit and spin. Why do I do them? Probably because they are among the few things that keep me sane, but mentally and creatively. Their are endless possibilities and one of the few places I can focus. The urge to create.

    I would be happy with either, but am a bit partial to the soysilk roving.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I knit and sew. I like the meditative aspects of both hobbies. I also like the social aspects of knitting.

    (The roving is beautiful, but I don't think I have time to learn to spin so I'd prefer the yarn.)

    margaretknits/Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  20. I knit because it is my only bit on sanity and peace in my day. The crazier and more involved the pattern, the more relaxed I am, just the opposite of everything else in my life. :)

    ReplyDelete