Monday, August 24, 2009

Red

The weaving post I had intended for today is not quite ready, but last evening's garden walk suggested another theme. Our raspberry bushes are producing a modest crop, enough to put on our cereal or ice cream, or, best of all, just pop the little nuggets right in your mouth. Last night's berries looked so exquisite in the bowl, I just had to snap a picture.



Then, as I was walking back from the dock with berries and camera still in hand, the Giant Burgundy Cockscomb waved me over and had their picture taken too. Their sumptuous, velvety red seemed a perfect partner for the raspberries. This particular type of cockscomb is often nicknamed the Brain because of its convoluted shape. Mine are still maturing so I'm hoping they get brainier!




The other item I harvested from the garden was Red Burgundy Okra. Now I'm not a fan of slimy okra dishes but when I saw these plants in bloom last year up at the Seed Savers Heritage Farm in Decorah, Iowa, I had to give this okra a spot in the garden. These are handsome plants with attractive flowers. And what's better, I've found that the fruits taste pretty darn good, and not one bit slimy, if dipped in egg, dredged in seasoned cornmeal, and fried in a bit of canola oil. The deep red candle-like shapes are also fun to arrange in various poses ...



I have to sneak a bit of weaving into today's post, so here's a runner I wove in 2007 that fits in with my red theme. This is a very old tied overshot pattern named La Belle Creole. My source for the draft was Mary Meigs Atwater's Recipe Book. The warp is 20/2 perle cotton, set at 30 ends per inch. The pattern weft is 10/2 perle cotton. Don't look at all those geometric shapes too long or your eyes will start to cross!

4 comments:

  1. Oh, I love the "Okra." Very cool! I'm fond of roasting okra, but I'm sure frying is good too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm quite sorry to say that I'd no idea of the world of weaving patterns that exists, but I'm happily enjoying learning a bit about them through your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is truly psychedelic weaving! I wonder if some font designer out there will be inspired to create a new typeface called Okra if they read your blog?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first time I ever had a raspberry off the vine was in Diane's backyard a few years ago, and I'll never forget it...it was warm from the sun and it melted in my mouth like liquid sunshine.

    As for fried okra, yum! :)

    And a note on weaving: did you know that the United Nations declared 2009 the International Year of Natural Fiber? Cool, hunh?

    Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete