Monday, August 10, 2009

Weavers of the 21st Century

I learned to weave when I was in my late twenties. With that first project, a sampler, I was hooked. I couldn't get enough of throwing a shuttle across a warp and watching cloth - handwoven cloth - grow before me. That was over thirty years ago. In that time, I've always had a project in progress on a loom, and my enthusiasm has never diminished.

For the past twenty some years, I've been fortunate enough to share my weaving obsession by teaching weaving classes at Access Arts in Columbia, MO. In addition to several adult classes, I teach a children's class once a week. Today I'd like to shine a spotlight on my young weavers. Anyone who wants a definition of enthusiastic weavers should visit this class. All the children in this class arrive eager and ready to sit down at their looms and get busy. They spend an hour and a half weaving and chatting with one another. They may not be aware of it, but they are reinforcing skills that support what they are learning in school: doing math problems, reading a pattern, remembering a sequence, developing fine motor skills, making decisions on color and design .... And they're having a good time at it!

When I was a kid back in the middle of the 20th century, I wove on one of the ubiquitous potholder looms. While I thought it was great fun to mix and match all those colored loopers and see how the colors worked - or didn't - together, I sometimes wonder how I would have liked the more complex and versatile looms my students weave on. In my heart of hearts, I hope that at least a few of the children who have passed through my classes will continue weaving as adults and that weaving will find a niche in their creative spirits to enrich their lives as it has mine.

In the meantime, here's a gallery of Weavers of the 21st Century in action.

E working on her table runner:



C weaving pillow fabric:



O concentrating hard on her pattern:



A weaving kitchen towels:



A weaving fabric for treasure bags:



M working on her first project:



E proudly posing with her pillow:



Weave on, kids. Help me pass this shuttle along to the next generation.

4 comments:

  1. Miss G. would like to say - the class looks like fun! I was wondering if I could make dishtowels at weaving class?

    Mom says, she was excited before she saw these pictures, but now...well now she's probably plotting how to get her own loom here at home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Miss G - Of course you may weave dish towels.

    To Mom - You may have weaving in your future like it or not! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. Looks like the youthful weavers are having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hurray for 21st century weavers - their projects all look terrific!

    ReplyDelete