Monday, May 17, 2010

Endless Rain, Boundless Hope




So much rain, day in, day out. So much rain that I've lost track of the inch amount. I just know that our yard has become a wetland marsh, a haven for lots of colorful, sweetly-singing birds who are busily rearing their young. Our garden, which should be nearly all planted and vigorously growing by now, is a weedy swamp. So when I awoke to yet another dreary day this morning, I had to push myself to find something good about the day. I pulled on my boots, grabbed the camera and headed out the door, determined to find something beautiful, something to feel hopeful about.

As you might guess from the photo above, my mission was successful. No sooner did I step off the back porch, then I was greeted by this sparkling patch of clover. Water droplets on green leaves always get my admiration - one of nature's tricks for embellishing her already perfect creations.

Out in the garden it is too soggy to do anything but step carefully, avoiding bare soil as much as possible. Early in April in a small window of dry weather, we did get a bed of lettuce, arugula and radishes planted. It has grown slowly but steadily so that now we are enjoying salads nearly every day. But the soil is wet and not at all "mudluscious" as e.e. cummings wrote.





On the back porch my small army of tomato, pepper and basil plants are getting bigger by the day. I can hear them shouting at me every time I step out there - "Get us out of these cramped pots and into the ground! We want to grow, grow, grow...!"




Around on the other side of the house the cherries are beginning to have a blush of color. Still too early for picking, but dripping with raindrops, they did look beautiful and held the promise of future tarts.



A young redbud tree along the garden fence next caught my eye. More of those elegant watery jewels on the heart-shaped leaves. Even sans sunshine they lifted my spirits.



Well the final photo is really a cheater, one I took last week sometime when the sun put in a brief appearance. The rugosa roses have recently started blooming. Their flowers are so old-fashioned, their petals so wonderfully disorganized. And the smell is exactly the right fragrance - not too spicy, not too sweet.



Did the rainy walkabout cure my another-rainy Monday blahs? Yes, I can always find something lovely, something hopeful if I put my mind to it. It just seems that I need to remind myself of this fact over and over... Am I happy about the never-ending rain? No, but I'll keep on hoping for those sunny days. Have a good week!

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for such a beautiful post! I know the rain has been hard on my family, and I was having a particularly bad day myself. Sometimes we just need a different perspective, though, and I know I feel much better now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jenny! I was feeling pretty blah (or worse) about the weather this morning, and only slightly better as the day went on. These photos helped!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jenny: Enjoyed the tour so much. Your pictures are great.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful raindrop photos! I hope the sun comes your way soon.

    ReplyDelete