Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tour de Fleece 2009 - Mission Accomplished!

My goal for the Tour de Fleece challenge was to spin a minimum of 30 minutes a day each day of the Tour de France. With the garden shifting into peak production during July, it was indeed tricky to squeeze spinning time into each day, but I did it! And the veggies are no worse the wear for it, or me either for that matter. At the end of the event, I had logged 1,180 minutes of spinning - just over 19 1/2 hours. 160 of those minutes were spindle spinning.

The real bonus is how much finished yarn came out of this effort. The total yardage of finished 2 ply yarn was 909 yards. I completed two projects that had been dragging along for quite some time, spun and plied the bamboo roving, (a new fiber for me), and got well into my current spinning project - 8 ounces of tussah silk. On Sunday, the final day of the event, I finished up garden chores early and spent 70 minutes, enjoying the glide and sheen of that silk through my fingers while listening to Celtic music on the radio.

It was an enjoyable challenge. I would definitely do it again because it kept spinning high on my list of daily priorities. Daily spinning is such a good way to maintain balance in daily life. I'm going to close with a photo of the finished bamboo yarn. I ended up with 285 yards of 2 ply yarn. It's shiny and smooth (mostly) but not elastic or lofty, so I'm going to plan a weaving project for it. Huzzah for spinning!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on meeting your goal! The bamboo is lovely, and I'm curious to find out what you're going to do with the rest.

    ReplyDelete